Guatemala has been one of my biggest travel surprises in recent years. With green lush countryside, colorful cities, looming volcanos, and ancient Mayan ruins, the entire country impresses. The people are friendly and the coffee is strong and plentiful. I traveled throughout Guatemala (and Belize) this summer with my kids, and without doubt, we all agree that Antigua was our favorite stop of the trip. It seems to have something for everyone, making it a perfect destination for your entire family.
- The colorful Spanish colonial buildings make Antigua a picturesque destination that even kids can appreciate. Ruins of colonial churches that date back to the 1600s are found throughout the streets in the city center. Because Antigua has (unfortunately) become a popular tourist destination, there are magicians, balloon artists, and other street performers that really captivate a young audience.
2. A coffee lover’s dream destination. Antigua is perfectly situated in the coffee region of Guatemala. This means that your only hard decision each morning is deciding which coffee shop to visit. There are several coffee plantations surrounding Antigua, so there are opportunities to learn more about coffee production while supporting the local coffee farmers. Needless to say, we came home with several bags of beans.
3. Spanish classes. Antigua is known for its Spanish schools. There are many to choose from, so do your homework. They are relatively inexpensive and offer one-on-one instruction. My daughter took lessons for four hours each morning while we were in Antigua.
4. Perfect hub for adventure opportunities. Antigua is surrounded by volcanos, making it a perfect destination for those seeking adventure. We hiked a volcano and went zip lining during our stay.
5. Lots of opportunities to learn about Guatemala’s culture from locals. Guatemalans are friendly and eager to share their culture with you. Throughout our stay, we met so many wonderful people and learned so much about the culture. It was a great learning experience for Emma and Oliver.